Search This Blog

Sunday 17 August 2014

The Conundrum of White Matter

If my theory below was entirely correct there should have been a correlation between IQ and white matter of 1.  There isn't - a couple of research papers for a moderate correlation and one research paper found a slight negative correlation.  I also found out that in the research that grey matter also has a moderate correlation with IQ.  So we have two things that are implicated but neither tells the entire story.

Here is my idea, the more grey matter that you have, the more connections there are between every node in the brain, the more connections there are the fewer jumps needed to get from the first red dot to the second red dot.  So even if your secretion of myelin is slower you have a shorter journey.

This would also allow there to be a negative correlation between white matter and IQ for a small sample, if the journey is double in a brain with less gray matter, then you'd have to create twice as much myelin to cover all of the journeys needed.

So I am going to put it out there, something that could be tested quite easily but something that I haven't seen in any paper - if you standardize for amount of gray matter, the correlation between white matter and IQ will be close to 1.

I have no idea how this helps anybody in the whole entire world at all.  I just like thinking!

Thanks to: @learningspy : @mikecameron : @Ingotian for engaging in discussion with me, the maniac.


No comments:

Post a Comment